In the latter part of the last century, Whitworth Park, like many another, fell upon hard times through neglect and lack of funds and became known as a “dangerous place”. This led, of course, to more neglect and more danger, but an application to change part of it into a car park awakened the wider community to realise that they were in danger of losing a precious asset. So after much talk between the then Director of the Whitworth Art Gallery, the Gallery Friends’ group, Manchester Leisure, local Councillors and the resident community, Friends of Whitworth Park was constituted in January 2006 to promote the revival of the Park “as a place of quiet resort for the benefit and the use of the public, especially children, in the spirit of the founders.”
Since then its committee has worked with the Council to find a constructive role for the Friends of Whitworth Park in the repair, improvement and management of the Park. But as a new round of deeper cuts threatens this successful arrangement we need to work with the renewed Whitworth and others to find new ways to help ensure the future of the Park.
Why not join us?
By joining the Friends of Whitworth Park you can:-
- show your support for the Park
- keep in touch with developments and activities
- have a say in future developments
- contribute to making and keeping the Park attractive and well used.
As a member you will:-
- have an opportunity to help plan and organise activities
- have a chance to comment on key issues
- be invited to meetings
- receive regular information on Park issues, events and activities
- have a vote at the Annual General Meeting and help elect a committee
- be able to stand for election to the committee.
To join, just fill in and return the membership application form. We ask for an annual donation of £5, payable when you join and on 1 May each year. This covers all family members at one address.
The Friends of Whitworth Park is run by a committee elected each year at the Annual General Meeting (usually in May). Committee meetings are held monthly. We are regularly joined by council staff members, a Moss Side councillor and a community policeman (or woman).
The current committee, elected in May 2020, is:
- Chair: Alistair Cox
- Secretary : Gill Reddick
- Treasurer: Peter McCabe
- Dorothy Ennis-Hand
- Former Chair: Tim Wilding
- Gill Reddick (representing Friends of the Whitworth)
- Francine Hayfron/Patrick Osborn (representing the Whitworth at alternate meetings)
We have vacancies on the committee and we would love to hear from anyone who would like to join us. Please contact us for further information- contact us below:-